Assimilation of radar data in AROME (presentation, March 2008)
Presentation of Eric Wattrelot during the 2nd AROME training course, Lisbon, 4-7 March 2008 : "Assimilation of radar data in the AROME model AROME model at at Météo Météo-France France" by Eric Wattrelot, Olivier Caumont, Thibaut Montmerle, Claudia Faccani, Marian Jurasek and Günther Haase.
- Context and Introduction.
- Basic theory of the two measurements: radial wind and reflectivity
- Sources of measurement errors: need for pre-processing radar data.
- The specific radar product for AROME
- Towards the assimilation of radial winds: observation operator, quality control and thinning
- Towards the assimilation of reflectivities: observation operator, specific methodology for reflectivities, quality control, and thinning
- Assimilation status for reflectivities: results through case studies.
- Assimilation status for radial winds : results and impact on short forecasts through case studies.
- Conclusions and perspectives