Known issues with CNRM-CM5 CMIP5 data
Wednesday 1 February 2012 by senesi
As of April 2, 2012, the known issues with our data are (the date indicated is not a dataset version date):
- 1 (
not an issue) The oceanic fields do not have coordinated latitude and longitude, because the oceanic grid used by the model is a curvilinear one; this complies with CMIP5 requirements and actually implements CMIP5 recommendation regarding oceanic grids; grid vertices coordinates are included in all files
- 2 (
20010718) The grid area of CNRMCM5 (in areacella_fx_CNRM-CM5_historical_r0i0p0.nc) was wrong before version 20110718
- 3 (20111207) parent_experiment_rip is wrong for all historical experiments (including Nat, GHG, Misc, Ext), for member numbers beyond 1. The parent_experiment realization number has been set equal to the realization number of the child, while it should be equal to 1 (there is only one -common- parent experiment member, piControl r1i1p1). Thanks to J.Painter for raising the issue.
- 4 (20111207) branch_time is wrong for all RCP experiments; it is set to 1850-01-01 while it is of course 2006-01-01. Thanks to J.Painter for raising the issue.
(20111207) some datasets did appear in the gateways interface and datanode catalog but were not accessible
- 6 (20111212) base time for oceanic data files is not constant over the years for piControl and all historicalXXX experiments from year 1870, and RCP runs from year 2016. However, values of time coordinates in data files are correct w.r.t. these varying references. Regarding the branch time, please refer to the summary page for branch time. Thanks to D.Pierce for raising the issue.
- 7 (20111214) base time for SeaIce files is uniformly set to 1800-1-1, while it should be set to the date of simulation start. However, values of time coordinates in data files are correct w.r.t. this reference.
- 8 - (
withdrawn : oceanic fixed fields are now published)
(20120201)For all CNRM-CM5 cf3hr and cfDay 3D variables on model level, surface pressure was in hPa instead of Pa. Affected versions 20111006 (cfDay : amip, aquaControl, aqua4K, aqua4xCO2) 20111010 (cfDay : amip4K) 20111012 (cfDay : amip4xCO2, amipFuture) 20111018 (cf3hr : amip)
- 10 - ESG gateways do not show all datafiles/variables which have been published to the PCMDI gateway. Please let us know at email@example.com about any data you are missing
- 11 (20120213) scale factor error for streamfunction variables msftmyz et msftmyzba. They are overscaled by 10**6 and are not masked
- 12 (20120301) variable sfcWind from Amon table is published as ’output2’ instead of ’output1’, due to an error in the publisher software
- 13 (20120321) Clear-sky shortwave radiation at the surface : the breakdown of net radiation between upward and downward components is wrong over LAND for all experiments; a proxy can be computed by interested users, using the net flux (which is correct when derived from published data) and deriving:
- the downward component as the net divided by 1 minus the all-sky (rather than clear-sky) surface albedo (i.e. the ratio between upward and downward all-sky radiation at the surface);
- the upward component as the downward minus the net flux. This breakdown is only a proxy and will not be published.
- 14 (20120402) RCP simulations - warm bias on ice sheets/shelves from 2150 : the ice sheet modeling does not include ice dynamics, and the ice sheet locations where snow mass budget is negative do end up as bare ground with a quite low albedo; there, low level warming is excessive; this applies to a varying fraction of the Greenland and Antartic extent, and this fraction becomes significant for Greenland from 2150 onwards; Antarctic ice shelves (Ronne and Ross) are also affected after 2150.
- 15 (20120416) cfSites table data for Dome C - Antarctica (station #119) contain negative relative humidity values ; they are due to very low specific humidity values which are transformed to very low negative values, at a compression/decompression stage in the processing suite. This data will not be corrected. Please apply a lower threshold of 0 % relative humidity when using the data.
- 16 (20120510) Description of forcings in metadata is ambiguous with respect to ozone : ozone is never quoted as an externally varying forcing, while actually, whenever chlorine concentration evolves, this has a direct impact on ozone concentration, because chlorine is an input of the our ozone prognostic scheme; so, for each simulation with ’GHG’ quoted in forcing metadata, one could read ’SO, TO’ as well.
- 17 (20120616) The version of NEMO (ocean model) in the metadata is misleading : it is labeled as NEMO3.3v10.6.6P but is based on NEMO release V3.2